Sunday, December 28, 2014

BASEBALL: Locked In Vs. Random Variation



Couldn't find a link, but does anyone remember this summer when Miguel Cabrera (I think) went off and was like 4-4 with 2 homers and some team walked him in the 5th at bat (I think.) And Keith Law said it was #smrt (not smart) and Brandon McCarthy said it was smart and then it turned into an argument that was basically like are baseball players who are having a really good day locked in and somehow better than they usually are and thus more likely to succeed (i.e. their success that day is predictive of more success that day.) Or is it just random variation and the people who think it's more than that are the people who believe that a coin or a die can be "hot." I remember Tom Tango (I think) put forth a statistical inquiry to test the Locked In Theory, but I don't remember what he found. Did anyone research this? Or does anyone have thoughts? I'm torn on it. via /r/baseball http://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/2qno6o/locked_in_vs_random_variation/

No comments:

Post a Comment